Students design, document and implement software classes and incorporate these classes into larger software applications. Topics covered include abstraction, encapsulation, declaring and implementing abstract data types, interfaces, inheritance, polymorphism, and simple event-driven programming. (prereq: SE-1011) (3-2-4)
My job as your instructor is to make it as easy as possible for you to learn the material covered in this course. Please ask questions in and out of class. Dr. Taylor
On successful completion of this course, the student will:
- Explain the rationale for object-oriented design and programming
- Translate UML class and sequence diagrams into Java code
- Apply composition, inheritance, and interfaces
- Distinguish between extending a class (inheritance) and implementing an interface
- Define polymorphism
- Design and implement simple Java classes and packages
- Document the implementation of small software systems
- Make appropriate use of exception handling
- Use classes from the Java standard library to read and write files on disk
- Use the Java API specification (javadoc) to determine correct use of standard library classes
Take from the official course outline
General Course Policies
Please review the general course policies webpage.
Introduction to Programming with Java: A Problem Solving Approach, 2nd Ed., by Dean and Dean, McGraw-Hill, 2014, ISBN: 978-0-07-337606-6
Quizzes will be given nearly every week at the beginning of lab. The lowest quiz score will be dropped. No make-up quizzes will be given.
Unless stated otherwise, all laboratory assignments will be completed individually. All Lab assignments are worth 100 points per week (i.e., a two week lab assignment is worth 200 points).
|9:00||Office Hour||Office Hour||Office Hour|
|2:00||UPC||Office Hour||SDsgn||Office Hour|
* I would like to have lunch with you individually or as a group to get to know you better. If we eat in RWJ, housing will pick up my lunch bill. If you would prefer to eat elsewhere, we will each be responsible for our own bill. Feel free to suggest another time if the time above does not work for you.
Last modified: Monday, 29-Jan-2018 03:03:04 CST